One of the best tools for getting us out of that place of negativity that pulls us down is to take stock of all that we are grateful for in our lives. It is so easy to become overwhelmed by all that is not going well that we forget about all the things that are. We can very quickly become stuck in a downward spiral and this is when we need the tool of gratitude to break the cycle.
So take the time right now to write down a list of 100 things that you are grateful for and see what happens. Here are some ideas to get you started …
- Warm and dry house to protect you from the elements
- Hot water for your shower this morning
- For the ability to walk
- For wonderful friends
- For the food you have to eat in your cupboards and fridge
- For the money you have in your bank account
- For the “thank you” you were given yesterday for something you did for another person
You get the idea…?
To help build your gratitude muscles you can also turn this into a daily habit and end your day by writing out a list of 5- 10 things that you are grateful for. When you first start this exercise it may be very difficult to think of things especially if you have just had a “bad” day however when you persist you will find it becomes much easier and that your focus starts to shift from all that is not going well in your life to all that is.
I have often found it a struggle to be content with where I am and what I have right now as I strive for where I want to be. We are encouraged to set our goals and to dream yet it can be so disheartening as this highlights everything that we don’t have in our lives instead!
So this week I made the decision to change this experience to something more positive.
I chose to focus totally for one day on the things in my life that I am grateful for right now. As I moved through my day I looked for all the things that I love in my life – everything I did or used was an opportunity to be grateful. Within a matter of hours I was feeling so much more resourceful because of all that was working so well for me and I was aware again of all the opportunities around me to keep me moving forward.
This has now given me the strength and the motivation to continue working on my dreams and goals. I am no longer discouraged before I even start.
So why don’t you give it a try?
- Focus for one day on everything that you love about your life and really enjoy and appreciate each and every one!!
- If this is difficult, focus on one area and ask yourself “What can I do today that will allow me to really love this part of my life?” And then be willing to take action.
Need some help with finding something to focus on? Call/ text Heather on 0212 406 535 or Email email@example.com