Despite all the books and courses I have attended it still surprises me how quickly I can forget the tools that I know work when I am in the middle of a stressful or challenging time. This is why it is so important to have a support network to help you remember (or to learn for the first time) – this can be a coach, a group that you meet with regularly or a really good friend you can call.
Whatever challenges we are facing in life the bottom line is that we are the only ones who can handle it, we are the ones who must take responsibility to manage the difficulties we are being presented with. We can’t change anyone else involved however we can act as a role model when we demonstrate what happens when we take the time to look after ourselves. We become stronger and more resilient. It is easier for us to think clearly and to set the boundaries or make the requests that we need to make. It becomes easier to make the decisions we need to make because we have the energy to do so.
So what can you do to start building your resilience and energy? As always the change starts with self awareness and the willingness to take action. Here are some questions to reflect on so you can choose one area to make the shift…
- How high are your energy levels right now? Give yourself a score 1 being empty, 10 being full of energy.
What are you doing to take really good care of yourself right now…
- Are eating food that is healthy and makes you feel good?
- Are you drinking plenty of water or are you filling up on liquids that are de-energising?
- Are you aware of your breathing – is it shallow or is it deep and refreshing?
- Are you aware of what your body needs? Does it need to walk, run , stretch, relax. We need to maintain a balance between exercise and rest. Are you resting too much so that everything feels sluggish and slow, or maybe you are exercising too much so you feel frazzled and on edge?
- Do you have quiet time and space, or is your life always full of activity, people and noise?
- Do you take the time to reflect on your life and how you want it to be – to set clear intentions for yourself and your loved ones?
Choose one of these areas and make the decision today to take action. You will be surprised by how even one small change can increase your resilience and will positively impact whatever challenging situations you may be experiencing in life right now.